Job Title: EA1NHQ – Discovery Club -12 Months (32.5 hours per week)
Job ID: 1004535
Location: No Assigned Bldg – Misc
To apply: Click here
Discovery Club is a Saint Paul Public Schools program providing out-of-school time child care in a safe, fun, caring environment that supports children’s learning and development. This position is a floating position to cover various locations as needed.
Course work and/or experience in education, recreation, or other child-related fields for children ages 4-6 or 5-12 to equal one of the following options is required:
- AA degree or vocational certification in child development, or related field, and 1040 hours supervised work experience with children; or
- Two years full time post-secondary training or its equivalent and 1040 hours supervised work experience with children; or
- A bachelor’s degree in any field plus 1040 hours supervised work experience with children; or
- A bachelor’s degree with elementary licensure or student teaching of relevant age group completed.
- Current first aid and CPR certificates are desirable or must be obtained within three months of appointment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of child development.
- Knowledge of health and safety procedures for young children.
- Basic computer skills.
- Ability to independently plan and implement appropriate program experiences incorporating enrichment and recreational activities in areas that include but are not limited to children’s literature, crafts, games, music, gym activities, puppetry, cooking and or/ creative arts. Ability to actively participate with children in these activities.
- Ability to be solely responsible for a group of up to 15 children.
- Ability to use positive methods of behavior guidance.
- Ability to make decisions with a minimum of assistance.
- Ability to ride a school bus to accompany children on field trips.
- Ability to walk two miles on uneven terrain, lift 20 pounds, and accompany children in the water on swimming field trips.
- Ability to relate to students and their parents/guardians with respect, enthusiasm, warmth, friendliness, sensitivity, patience, and cooperation.
- Ability to work effectively with children and their parents/ guardians who represent a wide range of social, economic, racial, and ethnic groups and with children who have special needs.
- Ability to be flexible and work cooperatively with co-workers and school staff, and be open to changes in work schedule.
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing.
- Ability to use work processing programs.
- Able to work before and/or after school.
- Able to work flexible hours on non-school days and during summer for 12 month employees.
The essential job functions include, but are not limited to, the fundamental duties listed below.
- Solely responsible for leading a group of up to 15 students, and/or jointly responsible for leading larger groups in conjunction with other Discovery Club staff at a 1:15 staff to student ratio.
- Independently plan and implement appropriate enrichment and recreational activities for Discovery Club students; as appropriate, consult with Site Manager and other program staff when planning. Submit weekly lesson plans.
- Provide appropriate behavior guidance for their group of students and take appropriate disciplinary action as needed.
- Develop long-term supportive relationships with Discovery Club participants; assist students developing homework skills.
- Build community with their group and establish a welcoming, engaging, respectful, cooperative environment.
- Teach and model social skills, personal responsibility, problem solving, respect, and related skills.
- Carry out appropriate health and safety procedures for the protection of the children in their group.
- Plan and participate with their group in active indoor and outdoor recreational activities including swimming and walking.
- Initiate and maintain appropriate daily contact and communications with parents/guardians of students in their group.
- Implement the policies and procedures of the District and Discovery Club. Actively support District and Discovery Club goals.
- Maintain a clean, attractive environment in Discovery Club programming areas.
- Practice effective teamwork; work cooperatively and collaboratively with co-workers and school staff.
- Report to work on time for each shift. Maintain accurate time card and sign-in/out sheet.
- Attend all required staff development sessions and staff meetings.
- Organize materials for student activities; maintain student records.
- Contribute to the District’s Strong Schools, Strong Communities efforts by partnering with other staff to contribute to student achievement and the alignment and sustainability of resources.
- Follow child accountability and supervision of children procedures in order to track student whereabouts at all times and ensure appropriate supervision of children.
- Follow the established Nutrition Services procedures (i.e. snack counts, sanitation).
- Submit to Site Manager supply order requests.
- Provide accommodations for students with special needs and modify activities as needed to ensure respectful inclusion.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Pay,Benefits, & Work Schedule
This is a 12 month position working 32.5 hours per week.
Salary and benefits are in accordance with the Educational Assistant negotiated labor agreement. The labor agreement and salary schedule can be found at http://hr.spps.org/Labor_Agreements.html. The minimum rate of pay for this position is $13.98 per hour.
Benefits are available to new employees after 30 days of active employment. Benefits include medical insurance, life insurance, sick leave, pension plan, tax-free retirement account, and flexible spending account. Some employee groups also receive vacation, dental insurance and disability insurance. A benefits summary is available at http://www.hr.spps.org/Benefits_Summary_by_Union.html.
How To Apply
To be considered further, please apply for this position and attach a resume and cover letter to your online application.
The Human Resource Department will review your application materials and contact you regarding the next steps.
To attach additional documents to your online application, click on the “Additional Attachments” link from the applicant homepage and upload your documents as attachments. Valid file extensions for attaching a document include .doc, .txt, .rtf, and .pdf.
This posting will remain open until filled.
Transcript – Unofficial transcripts are accepted at the time of hire. You must submit official transcripts within 30 days of your start date. Formal credential evaluation is required for post-secondary education completed outside of the United States.
Veteran’s Preference – If you are an eligible veteran applying for a job where veteran’s preference applies and wish to claim Veterans Preference you must submit a legible copy of your DD214 to the Human Resource Department with your employment application. If your claim is approved, five or ten additional points will be added to your final passing score.
Criminal Background Investigation and Reference Checks – Reference checks and a criminal background investigation will be completed as a condition of hire for all new employees and for former employees who have not been employed by the District for more than six months.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Saint Paul Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer and supports an inclusive workplace environment.
SPPS is committed to an equitable workforce where all employees represent this commitment through equitable practices in their job position.